The unmet needs of children in Invercargill led to Presbyterian Support Otago opening Cameron Children’s Home in 1917. The Southland association of Presbyterian Support was formed in 1919 and took over the operation of this Home. From this, residential childcare continued as the main area of work over the next 40 years.

Although the care needs of older people had been apparent since the mid 1930’s, it wasn’t until May 1938 that Cameron Home (now redundant as a children’s home) was reopened as a Home for “elderly ladies”.  Since then, our first purpose-built rest home/hospital at Peacehaven opened early in 1954, and the range of services offered to older people has substantially expanded to multiple homes across the region.

The introduction of the domestic purposes benefit reduced the number of children needing residential care and our last children’s home closed in 1989. There was still a desperate need for social services to support children, young people and their families and in 1991 we were approved as CFSS & Community Service and since have expanded to offer a wide range of services under Family Works.

The Southland Committee was formed and Cameron Home was opened in Gordon Street, Invercargill.

1917

Gladstone children’s home was opened in Grey Street, Invercargill and Southland became a separate Association known then as PSSA.

1919

PSSA appoints Alan Smith as Chief Executive.

1932

PSSA adopts a new constitution, known then as the ‘rules’ of the assosciation.

1933

Allison children’s home and farm on Bainfield Road, Invercargill was gifted to the Association by Mr John Allison and was opened on 30th November. Gladstone children’s home was closed.

1934

Campaign launched to raise £50,000 to build a rest home in Invercargill.

1947

The first Inglenook children’s home in East Gore officially opened on the 10th April and Cameron children’s home was converted to home for elderly women. The children from Cameron home were moved to Inglenook.

1948

Two foundation stones at Peacehaven were laid by Prime Minister Rt Hon S G Holland (later Sir Sidney) and the Association’s Chairman, The Rev W J Robertson on 15th August.

1951

Sutherland children’s home at Oteramika Road, Invercargill was gifted to Association by the Sutherland Family and officially opened in 1957.

1952

Peacehaven rest home, hospital and rental cottages officially opened on the 24th February. Cameron home for the elderly closed and residents were transferred to Peacehaven. 

1954

Resthaven was officially opened on 17th February.

1956

Norwood Hostel was gifted to the Association by Mr Alfred and Mrs Bessie Walmsley and was officially opened on the 3rd June.

1957

Visit from Governor-General, Sir Bernard Fergusson

1959

Allison Home was closed and boys transferred to Tweed Street Home in March. Highfield Children's Home opened. Peacehaven Chapel was dedicated in December.

1961

Peacehaven Chapel stained Glass windows are installed and dedicated.

1962

Tweed Street Boys' home in Invercargill and Inglenook children’s home in East Gore were both closed.

1964

The second Inglenook children’s home opened in Ardwick Street, Gore on 26th February and was gifted to the Association by Mr and Mrs C B Styles.

1965

A new office building was established in the grounds of First Church, Tay Street, Invercargill and officially opened on 26th May. 

1967

Half century celebrations of PSSA.

1969

The residential extensions at Resthaven were officially opened on 21st September. Norwood Hostel for girls was closed.

1970

Iona wing at Peacehaven was commissioned.

1971

The PAM Opportunity Shop was established in conjunction with Anglicans and Methodists.

1973

Vickery Court was transferred to the Association, effective from 1st  September.  Six flats at Gore were opened. Highfield closed as a children's home.

1975

Highfield converted for use by physically disabled. Victoria Memorial was taken over by PSSA.

1976

Walmsley House officially opened on the 19th of March. A hospital wing added to Vickery Court.

1977

Inglenook closed as home for children.

1980

The second group of six flats at Resthaven officially opened on the 28th March.

1981

Wyndham Maternity Hospital leased from Southland Hospital Board and converted for use as a rest home.

1982

IHC Hostel Kindhaven purchased by PSSA. PSSA name was changed to Presbyterian Support Services Southland.

1984

Victoria Memorial Home for the elderly reopened at Ruru Street in the reconstructed Kindhaven Hostel.

1986

Wakatipu Home, Frankton, officially opened on the 1st of December. Sutherland Home was closed.

1989

Wyndham Home purchased from Southland Area Health Board and completely renovated and modernized. The Iona Wing at Peacehaven was converted to a secure dementia area.

1990

Presbyterian Support Services Southland were approved as CFSS & Community Service for Foster Care, Counselling and Social Work (Southland Wide).

1991

Supportlink established (Initially as “Home Support Service”).

1993

75th Anniversary ‘Young and Old’ book launched.

1994

The social service programme Temper Tamers and psychological services were implemented. The remaining 11 units were completed at Frankton Court. Alan Smith retired and Peter Wards was appointed as Chief Executive.

1995

Vickery Court was refurbished. SupportLink Wakatipu was launched and the name Presbyterian Support Southland (PSS) was adopted.

1996

The Invercargill Buddy Programme and Grief Groups were launched. Wyndham Home was handed over to the community.

1998

The Resthaven rebuild was completed, the Walker Trust cottages taken over by PSS and the Peacehaven Stage I and II rebuild was completed.

1999

Peacehaven stage III rebuild was completed and Victoria Memorial Home was sold.

2000

The Wakatipu Buddy Programme commences in Queenstown. Vickery Court Hospital rebuild was opened and Resthaven was extended to include a dementia care area.

2001

The social service programme Cool Families started and the Fresh Start contract commenced.

2002

The Parenting Programme started. The old Vickery court hospital was converted to a rest home and the Iona Dementia Care at Peacehaven was extended.

2003

The first of 19 Townhouses to be built at Peacehaven were occupied. The Iona rest home level dementia care moved to two new 10 bed units. Vickery Court rest home rebuild stage I and II completed.

2004

The social service arm of PSS was officially rebranded as ‘Family Works’. Family Works Strengthening Families Service started. Highfield Home was closed and the remaining disabled residents moved to Vickery Court. The second lot of townhouses at Peacehaven were completed.

2005

The last 7 townhouses at Peacehaven were finished. The Vickery Court rest home rebuild was officially finished. The Aged Care community service ‘Supportlink’ was extended to Gore. The Family Works Buddy Programme also extended to Gore.

2006

Family Works won the Family Start Programme contract. Elms Café complex and Anderson Hall were developed at Peacehaven. The name of “Aged Care” changed to “Services for Older People”.

2007

The Family Works Dedicated Intake Service commenced. Wakatipu Home was transferred to new owners.

2010

The Family Works Young Parents service and the Incredible Years programme commenced. Central Office moved from Tay Street to 181 Spey Street.

2011

The Family Works Cool Families programme started.

2012

The Family Works programmes Circle of Security and Out of Gate started.

2013

The Peacehaven walkway officially opened.

2014

The Family Works programmes Family Dispute Resolution and AMGR8 started.

2015

Name change from “Services for Older People” to “Enliven”.

2016

PSS service brand Enliven wins the New Zealand Readers Digest Trusted Brand Award.

2017

Peter Wards retired and John Prendergast took over his role as Chief Executive of PSS.

2018

Presbyterian Support Southland turned 100 years old and Peacehaven celebrated 65 years.

2019